Monday 21 September 2015

Red lentil soup.



Somehow S kept craving Asian food, but I could not even stand the smell, let alone all the flavours. So we skipped any food in that general food category.
But now, I don't mind so much... Don't talk to me about sweet/sour dishes, but I am fine with anything of the "curry-variety".

A while back I read this recipe for a spicy red lentil soup. I know that the recipe called for some coconut cream, but unfortunately I did not bookmark the page. And coconut cream makes a dish 'Asian-influenced' right?












































So I went with the ingredients, I thought made, the most 'sense':
  • red lentils (500g)
  • 2 red onions, chopped
  • garlic, to taste
  • tomatoes (canned, diced)
  • vegetable stock (1,5 Liters)
  • coconut cream, 1 can
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • paprika, 1 tbsp
  • cumin, 1 tsp
  • kurkuma, 1 tsp
  • salt, pepper
  • soy sauce to taste
  • chilli flakes (to taste)
  • cinnamon, 1 tsp


Start by slowly frying the onion, garlic and carrots in some olive oil until soft. Now add the spices and stir.
After a couple of minutes add the lentils and the canned tomatoes.
Before adding the vegetable stock (extra points if you use hommade stock) allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
Please don't add any salt at this point, because the lentils won't soften.

Now let your soup simmer for 45 minutes. The lentils should be cooked by now and the soup should have thickened a little.




Add the coconut cream and a tbsp of soy sauce.

Allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
Now season with salt and pepper and maybe a little more soy sauce to taste.

I suggest serving this soup with oven roasted chickpeas (Another idea I read somewhere. If I ever find the source I'll link back to it.), fresh coriander and slices of lime.





Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover